Pages

Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Things We Do For Yarn

Friday, 15, October, I headed through torrential rain with my nearly-empty suitcase. It had been a disappointing day. Then, of course, the subway was backed up. The bus was late. Based on my previous trips, I'd be getting to New York at about 11:30 PM (we didn't actually arrive till after 2:00AM). But every now and then I'd get a reassuring text from my friends, promising they were already going to be up late, that they were happy to have me.

How could I not be upbeat? I was going to be with some of my favorite people in the world.

And I was going to Rhinebeck.

After I arrived at Shane and KJ's, we caught up, covered the weekend agenda, and they went off to bed while I went to wash off the chill that had dampened through three layers of my clothing. I note this, first, because KJ's shower is an obligatory destination I look forward to every trip to Manhattan; in both apartments they've had, they manage to get perfect shower pressure, whilst stocking the bathroom full of the wares of her employment (she works for a certain lovely soap+ shop famous for "fresh, handmade cosmetics" wink wink). Second, it meant that I didn't get into bed until 15 minutes to 5AM.

I completely slept through my first two alarms, waking to the third at precisely 5:30AM.  Yet, miraculously, I managed to dress, make a fruitless phone call, get downstairs, hail a cab that got lost and turned around in construction, and be at the Park Slopes bus on 6th Ave at about 6:02AM- I don't know if I've ever been so on-time in my life. Then we waited for half an hour because someone who was late called ahead. Oh, the irony.

I managed to get some sleep on the bus, but didn't miss out on the lovely scenery or getting acquainted with the awesome people around me.
We were one of the first groups to arrive. There was no rush, no busyness. I was able to take it all in at my own pace.

I saw scads of fun, diverse animals.












And was giddy to pet the only Angora bunny I was able to find.


I met lots of wonderful people,

a few of my heroes,

Some South End Knitters

and some old friends.

I stood in line for over an hour (others waited longer) for a legendary yarn I had yet to try, and missed the Ravelry meet-up for it, but I got the coveted yarn. It's beautiful. I'm told that by Sunday there was practically nothing left.
Seeing is believing

This had better be good yarn.


I actually got everything I set out to get, and a few things I couldn't live without, but everything was a "find." I knew what vendor I wanted to visit, but not what yarn/color; I knew I wanted a new drop spindle, but no specific one, etc. (And I have yet to photograph any of my treasure.) I had so much fun that I'm still feeling the glow, over a week later!

We called it a day just in time for my satisfaction to be at its peak, and I got back to Shane and KJ's just in time for dinner. We had a fantastic evening, and didn't turn in till after 2AM again. It was beyond worth it.

Needless to say, I slept in the next morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment