Pages

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Toe Headed

I've always wondered where on Earth the English language came up with the term "Toe Head." I mean, seriously? Toe head? I can't begin to tell you the imagery that invokes. And what the heck does it have to do with blond hair? My toes sure don't look like a Fanning girl.
I couldn't help but think of this when I started making Cal a yellow hat that he'd requested. The interesting part is that he's as blond as the sunshine. He always draws himself with yellow crayons. Strangers have commented on more than one occasion, quote, "Kid, you are yellow!"
Being thus compelled, I started searching the internet, only to find out I was wrong all along. All these years I was thinking "Toe head," when in fact it's "Tow head." According to most sources, tow is the Germanic word for flax or hemp that is ready for spinning! Flax and other similar fibers, when ready for spinning, are blond.
You learn something new every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment